Old Yardleians RFC: Club News

Match Report - U14s v Alcester RFC

Sat, 16 Dec 2006 02:00

This was our first match against a newly formed team and it turned out to be a very testing game that was in the balance right up until the final whistle.  New player to the club, David O'Grady, made is debut on the wing and with James and Dan Green missing, changes were necessary in the front row.

Early play was almost entirely in Old Yards half as the home side were finding it difficult to move the ball when in possession.  It was not until the 6th minute that Old Yards showed their pace going forward and when they did it was to geat effect as they took the lead.  Dan Griffiths was fed the ball and ran down the left.  Showing pace an power he fought off two tackles before going over to score, with the conversion narrowly missed by Stuart.

Old Yards extended their lead after 9 minutes with good work by Scott in winning the ball.  George passed the ball out to Andrew who made a break past halfway before passing the ball out to Stuart on the wing. Stuart showed his pace and after crossing the line in the corner he ran the ball round to touch it down under the posts.  The simple conversion by Shaun took the score to 12-0.

Whether it was down to Old Yards easing off or Alcester stepping up their game, the away side were starting to gain territorial advantage.  The home side were guilty of allowing Alcester to regain possession quite easily after having initially won the ball.  The away side almost scored on a couple of occassions but Old Yards defended their line well but were fortunate on the stroke of half time when Alcester knocked on after going over the line.

Half Time - Old Yardleians 12 Alcester 0

Richard made changes at half time to make full use of the squad, bringing on Austin, Matt Jesse, Alex, George Drabble and Sheldon to replace Matt Willetts, Shannon, Stuart, David and Callum, with Tom Scott switching from fullback to wing.

Alcester started the half as they finished the first with plenty of possession and playing the game in Old Yards half.  After 42 minutes Alcester played their way back into the match after being awarded a penalty 25m out.  With the Old Yards defence showing a lack of awareness, the away side played the ball short and drove over.  The score remained at 12-5 as the conversion was missed.

If they hadn't known it before, Old Yards certainly knew now that they were in a game and would need to step up their own game if they were to continue their winning run.  After 51 minutes Old Yards were able to extend their lead further with a good try from by George Bishop as he showed his strength to drive over, taking the score to 17-5.

The match was not over yet as Alcester showed great character to again push Old Yards back on the defensive and deservedly got themselves back into the game with a converted try after a period of constant pressure on the Old Yards line.

With the score at 17-12 and with 4 minutes left it made for an exciting end to the match.  Old Yards, however, showed their defensive strength to play out the final few minutes of a very entertaining game.

Full Time - Old Yardleians 17 Alcester 12

Team:  Tom Carter, Scott Wilson, Sam Wright, Matt Willetts, Christian Wilson, Michael Scott, Shannon Killarney, George Bishop, Callum Killarney, Shaun Morris, David O'Grady,Andrew Cox, Dan Griffiths, Stuart Adams, Tom Scott.
Replacements:  Alex Patrick, Austin Hughes, Matt Jesse, George Drabble, Sheldon Du Plessis

Scorers: Tries - Dan Griffiths, Stuart, George Bishop
Conversions - Shaun

Submit News Articles

Interested in helping to administer this site?
Contact Shannon for details.

Submit a news item to:
Shannon or Dave Adams