Old Yardleians RFC: Club News

Tour Match Reports - U14s v Wells R.F.C. v Dorchester R.F.C.

Fri, 30 Mar 2007 04:13

After the intense training on the beach at Brean the day before, it was off to Wells for the 'real thing' and the triangular tournament against Wells and Dorchester.  The matches had been organised as 40 minute games of two 20 minute halves. For the two teams that had to play consecutive games it was going to be demanding as it would mean an extra 20 minutes on our normal matches.  As Dorchester had travelled the farthest it was decided that they should play their two games first so that they could make an early departure for their return trip to the south coast.  Our hosts for the day, Wells R.F.C. were Dorchester's opponents in the first match and got off to a flyer, scoring an early try and looking well on top in the early stages.  Due to an unfortunate serious injury the match was stopped as an ambulance was called.  At the same time another injury on an adjacent pitch required another ambulance to be called.  The players were taken back into the changing room until the injured players could be moved resulting in a delay of over 30 minutes.  With comments of 'accidents come in 3's' we were apprehensive as we watched the remainder of the match in which Dorchester ran out convincing winners.
Old Yardleians  15  Dorchester  10

With Dorchester having already played it was important that we were focused and sharp from the start and the training the day before helped.  Dorchester had a couple of early breaks out wide but good tackling saw off the danger and Old Yards started to take control of the game.  After 11 minutes Old Yards took the lead after winning a scrum on the Dorchester 22m line.  The ball was played out along the line to Dan who used his speed and strength to score near the corner.

Old Yards extended their lead after 17 minutes with Andrew scoring in the corner after a good run out wide having being put away after good passing between Tom Scott and Dan.

Half Time - Old Yardleians  10   Dorchester  0

Dorchester made a quick start to the 2nd half and scored a try within a minute of the restart.  The move started on the right and as they passed the ball across the line they created an overlap to cross the line in the corner.  Old Yards showing a desire not to be beaten extended their lead after 4 minutes of the half as Stuart made a great run after a good scrum by the forwards.

Looking as though they would run out easy winners, the Old Yards players let their concentration slip with 5 minutes to go and allowed Dorchester to move the ball down the line and with Old Yards defence being sucked in Dorchester used the overlap to score in the corner again.

Having received this wake up call, Old Yards stepped up their game again in the final minutes and came close to scoring again.  In the end, Old Yards ran out worthy winners and every player deserves praise for the effort put in and the skill that was shown.

Full Time - Old Yardleians  15   Dorchester  10

Team:  James Lawler, Scott Wilson, Tom Carter, Austin Hughes, Christian Wilson, Shannon Killarney, Michael Scott, George Bishop, Callum Killarney, Shaun Morris, Tom Scott, Andrew Cox, Dan Griffiths, Stuart Adams, Alex Patrick. 

Replacements:  David O'Grady, George Drabble

Scorers: Tries - Dan, Andrew, Stuart.
Conversions - None

Wells  12   Old Yardleians  10

After a short break we prepared to take on our hosts with Shaun and Stuart volunteering to make way for David and George to come on.  Shaun wasn't on the sideline long as he was called upon to put on a Wells shirt to replace an injured player.  Similarly, Stuart was asked to do the same later.

Old Yards made an impressive start to the game, scoring in only the 2nd minute.  After an interchange of passes with Tom Scott,  Andrew set off on a solo run from his own half to break through the home defence and score under the posts.  Although Wells looked dangerous on the break, it was Old Yards that were controlling the game until 3 minutes before the break.  After a series of scrums near the Old Yards line, the Wells pack drove over to level the scores.  With a successful conversion Wells took the lead.

Looking as though they would go off at half time trailing,  Old Yards produced a good move in the final minute.  James received the ball and made a great surging run before handing on to David who cut inside to beat the defence and score under the posts.

Half Time - Wells  7   Old Yardleians  10

Having already played 60 minutes of rugby, the Old Yards players understandibly started to tire and Wells regained the lead 6 minutes into the half as they worked the ball well across the field to use the overlap to score in the corner.  The Old Yards players again lifted their game as there was determination not to be beaten.  They again created a few openings but could not get that all important score.

The game was marred, however, in the final few minutes as one of the Wells players stayed down after conceeding a penalty in a ruck.  The player was clearly in great discomfort and the injury was more serious than originally thought.  Due to the nature of the injury another ambulance was called and rather than await the player being moved, the Old Yards coaching team suggested that the referee should end the match at that time.  In the end the result did not matter and we all hope that the Wells player makes a successful recovery from the injury.

In the end we could look back and say that we should have won having loaned Wells two players to replaced injured players or the fact that we missed a couple of easy conversions and other chances to score but the most important thing was that the match was played in great spirit.

Full Time - Wells  12   Old Yardleians  10

Team:  James Lawler, Scott Wilson, Tom Carter, Austin Hughes, Christian Wilson, Shannon Killarney, David O'Grady, George Bishop, Callum Killarney, George Drabble, Tom Scott, Andrew Cox, Dan Griffiths, Michael Scott, Alex Patrick. 

Replacements:  Stuart Adams, Shaun Morris

Scorers: Tries - Andrew, David.
Conversions - None

Summing up, the mini tournament was a great success and the lads played very well as a team, with everybody playing their part.  Every player can be proud of the fact that they represented the club in the best possible way.  Roll on next year!

Submit News Articles

Interested in helping to administer this site?
Contact Shannon for details.

Submit a news item to:
Shannon or Dave Adams